Our Missions Work
Since its inception nearly two centuries ago, the Anglican Diocese in Singapore has been fulfilling its call to missions in the areas of education and community service, while also building up the local church and establishing deaneries in Southeast Asia. No fewer than 27 parishes have been founded in Singapore since 1826, with six deaneries overseas from Cambodia to Nepal.
On the education front, Singapore’s first girls’ school, St Margaret’s School, was founded in 1842, with the all-boys’ St Andrew’s School two decades later. Today, the Anglican Diocese here has educational institutions from pre-school to the tertiary level.
Healthcare and family services are also at the core of the Anglican missions in Singapore. From the Diocese’s first clinic in Chinatown in 1913 to the Kallang Care Centre for families in crises and St Andrew’s Nursing Home in Buangkok, opened in 2013, the Anglican church has been in active health and family care for over 100 years and continues to do so today.
Creating1826Founding of Anglican Church in Singapore1837First Anglican Church building erected1870Consecration of St Andrew’s Cathedral1875Mission Chapel1884St John’s Church, Jurong1929St Matthew’s Church1934St Hilda’s Church1936St Paul’s Church1940Foundation stone laid for first Tamil church, Christ Church at Dorset Road1941Holy Trinity Church1952Church of the True Light1952Chapel built next to St Andrew’s School, later became Church of Ascension in 19621955My Saviour’s Church and Church of Our Saviour1956St Peter’s Church, Serangoon Gardens1959Church of Good Shepherd1963Church of the Epiphany1967St Margaret’s Church1971St George’s Church becomes part of the Diocese
St John’s-St Margaret’s Church1973St James’ Church1975All Saints’ Church1976Marine Parade Christian Centre1977St Peter’s Church, Sembawang1979Chapel of the Resurrection1986Chapel of Christ the King and Chapel of the Holy Spirit1987St Peter’s Church Sembawang relocated to be Yishun Christian Church (Anglican)1988Chapel of Christ the Redeemer1990St John’s Church Jurong relocated to Farrer Road to be St John’s Chapel2004St Andrew’s Community Chapel2007Merger of Light of Christ City Church with Christ Church Woodlands to form “Light of Christ Church Woodlands”2010St Andrew’s City Church
Serving1913Opening of Diocese’s first clinic in Chinatown; beginning of Diocese’ medical work1923St Andrew;s Mission Hospital for women and children established at Erskine Road1939Diocese set up Singapore’s first orthopedic hospital in Siglap1980St Andrew’s Cathedral Home of the Aged1992St Andrew’s Community Hospital opened.
Elliot Centre for women with psychiatric disabilities was started.
East Coast Care Centre opened for families in crises
Pasir Ris Family Service Centre (PRFSC) was opened1996Kallang Care Centre set up for families in crises
Balestier Care Centre for men with psychiatric disabilities was started.1998St Andrew’s Lifestreams opened at the new St Andrew’s Centre in Tanjong Pagar2003St Andrew’s Senior Care (JOY CONNECT) was started at Kampong Glam2005Simei Care Centre was started
St Andrew’s Autism Centre was started2006Official Opening of St Andrew’s Community Hospital in Simei
Launch of the Singapore Anglican Community Services (SACS) – formerly the Singapore Anglican Welfare Council.
Hougang Care centre (opened in 2002)
St George’s Centre (Started in 2004)
The Mission to Seafarers’2009Ground-breaking Ceremony for Autism Centre and consists of St Andrew’s Autism and St Andrew’s Day Activity Centre2013St Andrew’s Nursing Home was started in Buangkok
Educating1842Founding of the first girls’ school in Singapore by Mrs Maria Dyer, a missionary of the London Missionary Society, the school was later called St Margaret’s School1914St Andrew’s School recognized by government as a first grade school1934St Hilda’s Secondary School1937St Paul’s School (Officially registered as St Paul’s Kindergarten in 1953)1949St Hilda’s Kindergarten1952Christ Church Secondary School1956Anglican High School for education in Chinese1957St Margaret’s Secondary School at Farrer Road1962Ascension Kindergarten1976Foundation Stone laid for St Andrew’s Junior College1977St James’ Church Kindergarten1988Ascension Kindercare1989St Hilda’s Primary School1991Sonshine Childcare Centre (SCC) was opened1999Synod approves the relocation of St Andrew’s Junior College to Woodsville
Commonwealth Student Care Centre (CSCC) was opened at Tanglin Halt
HEARTFRIENDS BASC was started at Dover2001Synod approves the relocation of Christ Church Secondary School to the new school premises at Woodlands2005Official launch of St Andrew’s Centre for Early Childhood Education2006Official Opening of St Andrew’s Village*other Kindergartens, Child-care and Student-care Centres includePraiseland Childcare and Learning CentreQueenstown Good Shepherd KindergartenFive Stones PlayschoolSt. Andrew’s Cathedral Child Development CentreKiddy Ark Childcare & Development Centre